Delicious Gingerbread Kit Kat Cupcakes
Who doesn’t love a Kit Kat? They are a delectable chocolate treat that many people love to enjoy. Often they are connected with the whole “take a break” mentality, but what if I told you that you could enjoy the Kit Kat but on a whole different level? I give you the Gingerbread Kit Kat cupcakes.
They are a taste sensation and perfect for events, parties, or just as a weekend treat. Making a batch of these cupcakes will have your friends and family members making regular requests for them. So if you are curious as to how to make these incredible tasting cupcakes then here is everything that you need to know.
Ingredients needed to make the Gingerbread Kit Kat cupcakes
First of all, you will need to collect your ingredients. Here is everything that you will need.
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup of water
- ⅓ cup of cooking oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- ⅓ cup of molasses
- ¾ cup of Gingerbread Kit Kat Candy Bars, crushed or chopped
- Cupcake liners
- 1 ½ sticks of room temperature unsalted butter
- 3-4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- ⅓ cup of molasses
Ingredients for Chocolate Embeds: (optional)
How to make the Gingerbread Kit Kat cupcakes
These ingredients will make around 24 cupcakes.
- The first thing you will need to do is preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking liners.
- Next up in a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, water, eggs, and oil. Using an electric hand or stand mixer, mix on medium for 1 minute or until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Mix in the molasses and ground ginger.
- Now for the fun part. Fold in ½ a cup of the Gingerbread Kit Kat Candy Bars that you have crushed.
- Now you will want to add the batter into the muffin tin until each is about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup crushed Kit Kat bars.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make sure you allow it to cool completely before frosting.
Directions For Frosting:
- Now for the decoration and frosting. In a large mixing bowl and using an electric or stand mixer, beat the butter on high for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Next up mix in the vanilla extract, ground ginger, and molasses.
- Add in the powdered sugar, alternating with the cream or milk until smooth and forms small stiff peaks. This is your frosting.
- Now for the decoration, add the frosting to the piping bag and frost cupcakes.
- If you decide to add the chocolate embeds, place the candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt according to the package directions. Add melted chocolate to the silicone mold and place it in the fridge until hardened. Pop chocolates out of the mold and add them to the tip of the cupcake.
Recipe notes and tips
You may envision that the recipe is easy to follow. But it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- If you are making these cupcakes for an event or special occasion like a Christmas party, a great tip is to make the cakes a day before. If you leave the frosting till the last moment they will look amazing and taste like perfection. It will save you a lot of time when preparing for the party.
- Always leave the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the frosting and decoration. The longer the better. If the cupcakes are too hot the frosting will melt and create a big mess.
- Stand or hand mixers can be tricky appliances, so if children are helping, make sure they are supervised at all times.
- Make sure you store the cupcakes in an airtight container to ensure maximum freshness.
Variations to try
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- You could experiment with different flavors of Kit Kat. There will always be special editions so be creative and see what combinations work.
- Why not add a few extra touches. Edible glitter always looks very effective when used for decoration purposes.
- This could be a great way to experiment with different cupcake combinations and flavors, so get a little creative. You could also add some food coloring to the frosting if you wanted to follow a theme.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch directly.
If you do need to store these cupcakes, the best way would be in an airtight container at room temperature. They should last a few days stored that way, although, they likely won’t last too long.
A great tip is to make these cupcakes ahead of time. This is because they can be fiddly with the frosting. So if you are making them for a specific event you could make these the day before, or even just leave the frosting until you need them and just get to the cooling stage.
If you do plan on freezing these cupcakes it would be best to do so after the stage of cooking and before you frost them. This is because the frosting and decoration won’t do too well in the freezer, but the cake mixture itself will.
These are amazing cupcakes to make. So make sure you enjoy your Gingerbread Kit Kat cupcakes.