Christmas is such a magical time of the year. It is a lovely time to spend with family, enjoy the festivities, and one of the main factors of Christmas, aside from the big man arriving bearing lots of gifts, is the food. You can’t visit any household around Christmas time without food becoming a big part. So you may be wondering how you can transform some of the food that you will be making at this time of year. I give you the swiss cake roll reindeer. Such a simple idea but super effective.
Finding simple and visually appealing ideas to transform food at Christmas can often feel overwhelming. But these swiss cake roll reindeers are cute, easy to prepare, the children will love them and so will the adults. So wow your guests with these cute little cakes and take the pressure off at Christmas. You do enough! If you were wondering how to recreate these swiss cake roll reindeers then here is everything that you need to know.
Ingredients needed to make the Swiss Cake Roll Reindeer
First of all, you will need to collect your ingredients. Here is everything that you will need to create these cute Christmas-inspired cakes.
• 10-Count package of Swiss Cake Rolls (you can also substitute Ho-Ho’s) You need 20 Swiss Cake Rolls total
• Nutella or chocolate frosting
• 40 small candy eyes
• 20 Small red candies (I used red M&M’s)
• 10 Large pretzel twists, broken in half
• 20 Wooden craft sticks
How to Make the Swiss Cake Roll Reindeer
Now that you have all your ingredients it is ready to create a little bit of Christmas magic in the kitchen. Here is how you can create the Swiss cake roll Reindeers.
- First of all, gather your Swiss Cake rolls and remove all of the wrappers. Discard those wrappers.
- Next up, take your wooden craft sticks and insert a craft stick into the base of each Swiss Cake Roll.
- Now for the pretzels and some of the details. Carefully break the pretzel twists in half and insert them into the side of the Swiss Cake Rolls for the reindeer antlers. You will start to see the Reindeers come to life.
- Add a small amount of Nutella or chocolate frosting to the back of two candy eyes and place on the Swiss Cake Roll.
- Add a small amount of Nutella or chocolate frosting to the back of one red candy and place it on the Swiss Cake Roll for the reindeer’s nose.
- Repeat these steps will all the Swiss Cake Rolls.
- Now you have your Swiss cake roll Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeers ready for your Christmas get-together.
Recipe notes and tips
You may envision that the recipe is easy to follow. But it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
• This is a great recipe to get children involved as it is all about putting things together rather than cooking or baking. So why not get the kids involved? Get all of the ingredients out, show them an example, and then let them get on with it.
• Have everything in easy reach so that you can get these made up. This will enable you to speed up the process.
• Have something to apply the chocolate frosting or the Nutella, whichever you are using, as this can get a little messy and tricky when applying to the Swiss cake roll. A small spoon or cake decorating tool could be a great option.
Variations to try
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
• Once you start to think about it, Swiss cake rolls could be used to create all kinds of animals. Looking online at different animals may help you to come up with some ideas but the basics to remember is that the Swiss roll becomes the main body of the animal, you just need to be able to create a face.
• You could use chocolate that is shaped into small sticks and then stick them into the Swiss cake roll to create the legs instead of the craft sticks. This could make your Swiss cake roll reindeers look very effective and become a showstopper on the table. It also gives your guests another element of chocolate to eat.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch directly.
Usually, this has a particular theme surrounding Christmas, so you will likely serve them up at Christmas time. However, with a few variations as mentioned, they could work during the winter months.
Ideally, these are a snack that is best served at parties, especially for children. It is an easy and very effective way to display a much-loved chocolate treat that children and adults adore. A Christmas party or even a birthday that falls around that time would be two ideal opportunities to serve the swiss cake roll reindeers.
As you will have removed them from their protective wrapper, you may find that they won’t last too long out on display. Typically a couple of hours. A great tip is to note the best before date on the packaging, and any that have not been eaten can be stored away.
You will need to keep them stored in an airtight container. They will usually last a few days, but you may find that they disappear long before then.
You could do this ahead of time. You may want to decorate them on the morning of when you might need them or even the day before.
This is such an incredible Christmas option so make sure you enjoy your Swiss cake roll reindeers.