*This post may contain affiliate links.
Essential Shopping list of things you MUST have for a newborn
Do you have any idea what you need as a first time Mom??
What do you have on your registry or don’t you have one, do you have a clue what you will need? Don’t panic if you don’t you are the not first and you will not be the last.
Now don’t get confused with what are essential items to what are things you want because your friend has them or because the ad on TV said you need them or because they look really cool..
Essential items are things that you really must have to get bye, then you can add the wants then the needs.
When I was having my first I only had a couple of friends around me that had babies, so although that was helpful, I didn’t really know what was a necessity and what was a ‘This would be cool’
I do wish my Mom lived closer as I am sure she would have told me straight but she lived a 3 hour plane ride away so it was hard.
I sort of had some idea of what I needed but I also had an idea of what I wanted which are two different things.
Had someone said to me: ‘this is a definite and this isn’t’, then I think I would have been fine.
Plus it also depends on your budget we had a mortgage and I was going to give up work when I had my baby, so I had to buy the essentials before I gave up work and also the wants before we cut down to one income.
BUT honestly I wanted everything as I wanted it to be perfect and really, what were the essentials items a baby must have.?
Now days people do create a baby registry and this can easily be done at amazon and this sure helps your guest as they don’t really have to think they just check the registry if no one else has it then bingo they can buy it and all is great.
Don’t let your fabulous baby shower guests guess what you need when it is so easy to start a baby registry that they can see exactly what you need.
I have written previously about buying moms-to-be non baby items here so if you want to have a look at what personal things you need you can see it there.
Here is the perfect newborn must have list for you to checkout.
The Most Essential Baby Items
- Diapers (cloth or disposable your preference but baby needs these)
- Somewhere to sleep
- Burp Cloths
- Wash cloths (soft for baby skin)
- Baby First Aid kit
- Car seat
- Baby Monitor
- Baby Carrier or Baby wrap carrier
Diaper, clothes and bedding are probably the most vital items to purchase or add to your baby registry.
Crib, stroller, car set are also very important. I like getting expensive items that I know will last for years so a convertible baby crib is a perfect essential item as it goes from newborn to toddler.
Strollers are also another expensive item but if you get it for newborn right up to toddler then that in my opinion is a fantastic buy. The one I had was a phil and ted and I loved it as my husband and I liked to run so we found it a perfect mountain buggy. I now know there are so many more choices on the market and with so many more abilities. I did love it as It could go from newborn, to toddler, to 2 babies. Perfect!
Getting Ready for Baby
Want ideas of baby things to buy before birth so you can have everything set up and ready for when you go into labor so you can just enjoy the whole birth experience and not worry about anything other than you newborn baby. Check out this list of things for newborn which can be gamechanger if you have no idea where to start.
These are the nursery items that you can get ready before having your baby and a great way to spend some quality time with your partner planning the nursery out. Getting the car seat installed and learn how to put up the stroller and put it down so you can put it in the boot. You will be surprised at how many people don’t know how to fold down their baby strollers and this is a big problem.
Graco Benton 5-in-1 Convertible CribBaby Diaper Caddy Organizer:Lights Hand Carved Animal Night LightNursery Room Wood Floating Wall ShelvesGraco Rocking Nursery Chair with OttomanNursery Organizer and Baby Diaper CaddyNursing PillowVideo Baby Monitor with Two CamerasGray and White Circles Mobile
Hopefully you have done some prenatal classes so you are prepared and I know that going to classes can be hard when you work and you are tired but they really are a great idea.
Hillary from Pulling curls has some wonderful online Prenatal Class for couples like this deluxe course that are amazing also a free prenatal course if you want to test the waters (so to speak) and a great way to do it if you cannot get the a physical class. Hillary has a Prenatal Class for couples too but if you prefer you can just get her book
Related: Budget Friendly Push Presents
Extra Stuff to make Life Easier
- Amazons Subscribe and Save is a perfect place to start with getting things delivered to your door without you having to remember to order them Life is busy with a newborn so this is so convenient that when you first order you subscribe to get the quantity you want delivered every 1 to 6 months (whichever suits you). You can save money by doing it this way and you will get an email to remind you it is on the way. Less time shopping more time with your new baby.
- This is perfect for the essentials like Diaper, wipes, baby wash & shampoo. You will be surprised how quickly you go through all these essential items and before you know it you will have run out so why not subscribe and get them delivered .
- Must have newborn items and these most essential things a newborn baby needs will help you to realise that not everything your friends have are essential, peopel may not be telling you the truth about what is essential and want isn’t.
Baby Shower Posts
- Nursery Organization Ideas
- Pegboard Nursery Storage
- Budget Friendly Baby Shower Presents
- Unicorn Themed Baby Shower
- Pink and Gold Baby Shower Ideas
- Nautical Baby Shower Ideas
- DIY Baby Sock Bouquets
- Fabulous Baby Shower Ideas
- Baby Shower Diaper Cake Tutorial