Key Lime Pie Soap
DIY Homemade Key Lime Pie Soap
Do you love the smell of key lime pie? Now, you can enjoy it in a whole new way with this DIY homemade Key Lime Pie Soap! This easy-to-make soap will not only make your skin feel soft and smooth, but its delicious scent will also fill your home with the sweet aroma of fresh key limes. It’s an economical alternative to store-bought soaps that won’t break the bank. Plus, it makes for a great gift or party favor idea! Read on to learn how to make your own Key Lime Pie Soap at home.
Supplies Needed To Make the DIY Homemade Key Lime Pie Soap
1-pound of unscented clear melt & pour soap (You should be able to find it at many local craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael’s, as well as online or local soap supply stores)
- 1/4 cup jojoba oil
- Ivory mica colorant
- Green mica colorant
- Key Lime scented oil
- 1/3 cup crushed citrus peel
- 1 fresh lime (optional)
Equipment Needed To Make the DIY Homemade Key Lime Pie Soap
- Silicone pie/tart mold
- 1 large and 1 medium size mixing bowl
- Spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol
- Electric hand mixer
- Microwave safe measuring cup
- Piping bag with large star tip
- Lime zester
Supplies Needed For Soap Frosting
- 3-ounces of unscented goat milk melt & pour soap (See above)
- 1/3 cup of unscented whipped soap (See above)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable glycerin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
How to make the DIY Key Lime Pie Soap
Directions for the Exfoliation Layer:
Step 1: In a microwave safe measuring cup, add 6 ounces of the clear melt & pour soap. Heat in 20 second bursts. Stir in between each. Continue until completely melted.
Step 2: Spray each cavity of the mold with the rubbing alcohol. Pour just enough soap into each cavity until it covers the bottom. Set the soap aside. Sprinkle enough of the citrus peel to cover the bottom of each cavity. Allow the soap to harden.
Step 3: Once the soap is hard, spray each cavity with the rubbing alcohol. Pour another thin layer over the citrus peel, just enough to cover it. Allow the soap to harden.
Directions for the Soap Layer:
Step 4: Add the remaining clear soap to the measuring cup and melt as directed in Step 1. Mix in the key lime scented oil and Jojoba oil.
Step 5: Add 1 teaspoon of the mica colorant. Mix well. If you want a darker color, add ½ teaspoon of mica colorant until desired shade is achieved.
Step 6: Spray each cavity of the mold with the rubbing alcohol. Add soap mixture to the mold, just before reaching the top of each cavity. Spray again with the rubbing alcohol. Allow to harden completely.
Directions for the Soap Frosting:
Step 7: Add the goat milk soap to a microwave safe container and melt as directed in Step 1. Repeat in a separate container for the whipped soap.
Step 8: Add the melted whipped soap and glycerin to a medium size mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed fr 1 minute. Mix on high for an additional minute or until it becomes light and fluffy.
Step 9: Mix in the cornstarch and melted goat milk soap.
Steps 10-11: Quickly add soap frosting to the prepared piping bag. Frost each soap.
Step 12: Add a bit of grated lime zest (if desired). Gently pop the soaps from the mold and enjoy!
The use of the rubbing alcohol in between layers is to help them stick together. Spraying the alcohol on the top layer is to prevent bubbles from forming.
Makes 6-1.8 ounce, 2.5” size soaps (approximate measurements)
Recipe notes and tips:
While the recipe is straightforward, it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- Make sure you melt the soap in a microwave safe container. This will help to avoid any possible burning or scorching of the mixture.
- It is important not to overheat the soap in order to prevent it from becoming too thick and difficult to handle when pouring into the mold.
- If you want a more intense lime scent, add a few drops of Lime Essential Oil to the mixture.
- Be sure to always work in a well ventilated area when working with essential oils and fragrances.
- When pouring into the mold, make sure you fill only to the top of the cavity as soap will expand when it hardens.
- Allow soap to completely cool and harden before attempting to remove from mold.
- For an extra touch, add some grated lime zest on top for decoration before the soaps harden.
Variations to try:
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- Switch out the mica colorant for some all-natural colorants.
- Change up the essential oils to make different scents or combinations.
- Try using a different type of citrus peel, such as orange or lemon, as a topping for your soaps.
- Swap out the goat milk soap base with a vegan-friendly alternative like shea butter or cocoa butter.
Making homemade Key Lime Pie Soap is an easy and fun DIY project that will leave you with beautiful bars of soap that look and smell amazing! Whether you are giving them away as gifts or keeping them for yourself, this recipe is sure to be a hit! Try out variations and have fun experimenting with different ingredients. Have fun making your own homemade soaps!
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch directly.
Any type of Lime essential oil should work as it adds a nice subtle scent to the soap. You can also try other citrus oils such as orange, lemon or grapefruit.
No, this is completely optional. If you don’t want your soaps to be too dark though, I would recommend adding ¼ teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired shade.
Your homemade Key Lime Pie Soap should last up to 1 year when stored properly in a cool and dry place.
Yes, you can use other types of soap bases such as shea butter or cocoa butter in place of the goat milk base. Just be sure to adjust any other ingredients accordingly.
Making homemade Key Lime Pie Soap is a fun and easy DIY project that will leave you with beautiful bars of soap that smell amazing. With the right ingredients, essential oils, and colorants, you can create your own unique soaps to give away as gifts or keep for yourself! Follow our recipe instructions carefully while keeping in mind all of the FAQs we’ve provided, and before long you’ll be able to enjoy your very own batch of handmade Key Lime Pie Soap. Happy soaping!